Wedding Insurance Coverage from Massachusetts Professionals
What is Wedding Insurance?
The multi-faceted nature of weddings creates several potential exposures to risk, and these risks shouldn’t be overlooked when planning the festivities. As boring as an insurance policy might be among dress, flower and cake choices, wedding insurance is well-worth consideration when planning a wedding in Massachusetts. It’s at least more fun to do than narrow down the last few people on the guest list.
Wedding insurance is specialized event insurance that’s tailored for people who are hosting weddings. So that policyholders are protected from many of the various risks they’re exposed to, these policies typically bundle several coverages together in a package policy.
Get a free quote
Who in Massachusetts Should Have Wedding Liability Insurance?
As a general guideline, anyone who is or who might be perceived as the host of a Massachusetts wedding could potentially benefit from the protections that wedding liability insurance affords. This could include:
- The couple who are getting married
- The bride’s and groom’s parents
- Any other family members who are helping pay
- Any other family members who are listed on invitations
- Anyone who owns the property where a wedding is taking place
Depending on the specifics of a wedding, grandparents and step-parents might also want coverage.
If in doubt as to whether the insurance is necessary, it may be wiser to purchase coverage because anyone can file a lawsuit against anyone who’s perceived to be the host if something happens. Even the legal fees that an unsuccessful lawsuit results in can be expensive.
What Coverages Does Wedding Liability Insurance Come With?
Wedding liability insurance policies can come with several different coverages, depending on their terms and conditions.A few coverages that policies often at least make available include:
- Property Damage Liability Coverage, which usually covers damage to third-party property (e.g. vendor equipment, venue, guest belongings)
- Bodily Injury Liability Coverage, which usually covers injuries to third parties (e.g. officiant, musicians, vendors, guests)
- Liquor Liability Coverage, which usually covers alcohol-related incidents that other coverages often exclude
- Umbrella Liability Coverage, which usually covers large lawsuits by providing a secondary layer of liability protection
As is generally the case with liability coverages, these will normally help cover legal costs and settlements in the event of a covered claim. The coverages begin covering costs as soon as a valid claim is filed, in most cases.
Do Wedding Policies Provide Any Other Coverages?
Some wedding policies offer non-liability coverages that broadly help financially protect hosts’ investments in wedding services. A few of these other coverages that may be offered are:
- Catering and Cake Coverage, which may cover the cost of procuring a new caterer or cake decorator if a contracted one falls through
- Wedding Photographer Coverage, which may cover the cost of reproducing wedding party photos if the original shots don’t come out properly
- Gowns and Tuxedos Coverage, which may cover the cost of replacing damaged gowns and tuxedos that are rented
- Military Service Coverage, which may cover lost deposits if a wedding must be rescheduled because the bride or groom are called to active duty
Hosts might find policies that provide both these and the liability coverages, or they could have to purchase two distinct wedding policies. An insurance agent who specializes in these policies can determine the most efficient way to procure any necessary or desired protections.
Where Can Massachusetts Wedding Hosts Procure Wedding Insurance?
For help insuring a wedding that’ll take place in Massachusetts, contact us at Flavin & Flavin Insurance. Our independent insurance agents can show you multiple wedding insurance policy options since we’re an independent agency, and we have the knowledge necessary to help you select the best one.