Apartment Building Insurance Coverage from Massachusetts Professionals
What Is Apartment Building Insurance?
Apartment buildings in Massachusetts are valuable assets that must be protected. Apartment building insurance helps protect these assets from a range of covered risks.
Apartment building insurance policies are similar to landlord policies, but they’re adapted to meet the increased risk mitigation needs of apartment buildings and complexes. Most policies come with multiple coverages, and building owners can usually adjust the coverages to suit their particular building and situation.
Who in Massachusetts Needs an Apartment Building Policy?
Most individuals and companies that own sizeable multi-unit residential properties in Massachusetts can benefit from the protections afforded by an apartment building policy. In some situations, owners may even be required by the terms of a building loan to carry a minimum amount of coverage. When this is the case, it’s frequently wise to purchase more than is technically required so that there’s robust protection in place.
Get a free quote
What Coverages Do Apartment Building Policies Provide?
Since owners frequently are able to adjust the coverages included within apartment building policies, the exact coverages included in any one policy can vary. Nonetheless, there are a range of protections that many policies make available as either standard or optional features. Some of the more common ones are:
- Commercial Property Coverage, which might cover an apartment building itself and the surrounding landscaping
- Boiler and Machinery Coverage, which might cover non-moveable equipment that’s kept within an apartment building
- Commercial Contents Coverage, which might cover portable equipment that’s kept within an apartment building
- Backup and Sewer Drains Coverage, which might cover damage caused by certain plumbing issues
- General Liability Coverage, which might cover a variety of common accidents that could occur on a building’s premises
- Professional Liability Coverage, which might cover mistaken advice that’s given to tenants
- Commercial Umbrella Coverage, which might provide supplemental liability protection
In addition to these, many building owners also get rental income coverage. This protection may provide supplemental payments if tenants fail to make their lease payments.
Because there are so many different coverages available, owners should talk with an insurance agent who specializes in this type of policy before selecting their policy’s protections. A knowledgeable agent will be familiar with the many different coverages that are available and have the expertise necessary to make informed recommendations based on a specific situation.
Do Apartment Building Policies Come with Workers Compensation?
Most apartment building policies don’t include workers compensation coverage, although this can often be purchased separately as a stand-alone policy. Most agents who are familiar with apartment building policies can also assist with workers compensation if it’s needed.
Do Apartment Building Policies Come with Auto Insurance?
Commercial auto insurance is frequently available through apartment building policies for those who need the coverage. Many policies offer both traditional auto coverage as well as hired and non-owned auto coverage. The latter is commonly used to provide liability coverage when employees use non-company vehicles for work.
What Factors Affect How Much Apartment Building Policies Cost?
Insurance companies take into account many different factors when setting insurance rates for apartment building policies. A few of the items that can influence a policy’s premiums include:
- How large an apartment building is
- How many units an apartment building has
- How far an apartment building is from a fire station
- Where an apartment building is located
- What an apartment building is constructed of
- What coverages and limits a building owner chooses
How Can Building Owners in Massachusetts Get Apartment Building Insurance?
For help insuring an apartment building in Massachusetts, contact the independent insurance agents at Flavin & Flavin Insurance. Our agents have the expertise necessary to help you find a robust policy, and they can recommend any insurer’s apartment building insurance policy since they’re independent.